Monday 14 March 2011

Folksy Seller Interview 'Crafty People'

This is the first in a New weekly Feature  **Folksy Seller Interviews** Find out about your favourite folksy sellers and discover new favourites!

Name: Carol
Folksy Shop: Crafty People

How Long have you been on Folksy? Since December 2010
Describe what you create: Anything knitted or crocheted but mainly baby items.
How did you get into your craft? Knitting & Crochet have been my hobby and now, my business, for many years. My Mum, her Mum, and her three sisters all knit as do my my female cousins, my Aunt on my Dad's side of the family, and some of my friends. I have grown up with knitting so it was only natural that i would become a knitter too.
I remember my Mum teaching me how to knit. I had these horrid blue plastic needles and some yellow yarn, which, in those days, i called wool. I was making a scarf for teddy, just garter stitch for now. Mum casted the stitches on for me as she taught me this at a later stage. Mum always had to do the first couple stitches of each row for me as i always dropped the first stitch. It was going along fine until, out in the garden one afternoon, i noticed somehow i had a length of yarn going across the front of the knitting. I had no idea what i had done but thought 'if i cut that off, Mum won't know I've gone wrong'. I did cut it off and guess what happened, yep, a gaping big hole in teddy's scarf. It was hardly going to keep him warm now!
Anyway, that was over 30 years ago. Since then, Mum had taught me a lot more and i have learned through trial and error and books/internet.

What inspires you? Nothing as such, i just make what i personally like which is normally pretty, frilly items as i'm a girly girl

Which item for sale in your Folksy shop is your favourite? My heart shaped baby shawl. It's the 1st time i've made one of these and i'm really pleased with how it has turned out.


What makes you unique? I do not write patterns myself but i do update old ones, adding lace, ribbons or using multi coloured yarns. I think knitting has a bit of an 'out of date' image to it, i try to make items that mothers of today would still love to dress their babies in.

If you won the Lottery how would you spend your millions? Firstly, my Dad is just about to turn 64 and is still working full time, i would give him enough to give up work, do his house up and get the workshop he's wanted for years in the garden. Then i would treat Mum and Dad to a well earned holiday, wherever they wanted to go. I would buy my 2 brothers a house each and buy a house for me and hubby. Nothing flash, just a nice sized family home since we are currently renting. I would still craft but me and hubby would give up full time employment.

Carol

If you would like to see more of Carols wonderful creations visit her at http://www.folksy.com/shops/yarncreations

1 comment:

  1. Thank you very much for interviewing me and featuring my Folksy shop.

    Carol x

    ReplyDelete